This morning I went for a walk in the woods to the lake near my home. Suddenly it hit me, and I realized that next week I will be walking along the River Rance in my beloved Dinan, France. Before leaving France in 2011, I knew that I would return as quickly as I could. The experience there was extraordinary. I can hardly wait. My mind is crackling with excitement. In the meantime, I have the not-so-fun task of preparing my art supplies, etc. for the trip. Packing is definitely not the sexy part of travel.
Since I will be teaching this time around, I have other items to take along that I didn't have last time. I will be teaching in pastel, so the acrylics that I have been enjoying lately will be resting in my studio. I will miss them... maybe next time! There WILL be a next time, I am sure of it. Stay tuned.
For those of you who may be traveling via air with your pastel supplies, here is an easy checklist for you before you go:
- Pastels in a case that protects them (I carried my pastels in my carry-on the last time I went). This time I am packing them in my checked bag. I will have them in a Heilman backpack size box with a label in French and English that they are artists' colors. I will insert the box in a plastic bag to protect my clothing, etc.)
- 10-20 Mounted Uart sheets with glassine covering taped to the sheets for transport home (I have inserted these into a cardboard portfolio to protect them.)
- A small set of watercolors
- A small amount of watercolor brushes
- A small empty spray water bottle
- A small sketch book
- A set of pencils, erasers and a pencil sharpener
- A few felt tip pens
- X-acto knife and a few blades (DEFINITELY in checked bag)
- Small metal ruler
- Bug spray and sun screen
I am not bringing an easel because there are easels available at the West Mill where I will be staying with my students. If I were to bring an easel, I have a Sun Eden easel that is very compact and lightweight.
I am also bringing a color wheel, a view-finder and handouts for my students. I will, of course, also have my camera along for the ride with me in the plane's cabin.
Feel free to reach out to me for artwork or classes!
Or, connect with me on social media!
Subscribe To Newsletter
Get the latest updates on my artwork and class schedule!
Visit My Studio
Workhouse Arts Center
Building 5, Studio 513
9601 Ox Road Lorton, Virginia 22079
Please contact me before visiting.